Land Navigation (Map and Compass) – Level 1 and 2
March 29 @ 7:00 pm - March 31 @ 2:00 pmFree – $200.00
Come join authors of Essential Wilderness Navigation, Tracy Trimble and Craig Caudill as they teach you how to be a boss with map and compass.
Come to this class to learn how to utilize a map and a compass as easily as your cell phone. Knowing how to utilize your map and compass is imperative for wilderness travel if you want to explore areas normally unseen by others. These skills will serve to help you do the following:
- Read and understand all the parts of a topography map
- Understand how to utilize all the functions of a compass
- Learn the benefits and problems that arise from GPS use.
- Navigate into and out of a wilderness area
- Learn how to use Gaia GPS app.
- Learn how to use and develop an accurate pace count for various terrain.
- Learn how to put it all together in classroom work and practical exercises.
This class will involve moderate amounts of walking through practical exercises. We will have courses set up for you to navigate with the class as a whole, move onto working with just a partner, then ending by navigating solo. You will be able to do this, we can assure you of that.
For the first time ever the last day will be filled with scenario-based training. We will be giving individuals and team tasks and missions based upon real world situations to put you to the test.
Please read over this blog post for details on all the gear needed for this class.
LOCATION will be in Winchester, Kentucky. Exact location emailed to all class participants.